Friday, May 30, 2014

Diy Chalkboard


Unfortunately I did this project before starting this blog, so I didn't think to take any pictures of the process.

This Chalkboard cost me a total of $10

While rummaging through a local thrift store last November I found one of those wooden calendar frames that you hang on the wall for $1.50. I knew exactly when I saw it that I wanted to make a chalkboard out of it. Little did I know that it would take me 5 months to actually make it! I got so preoccupied by birthdays and Christmas that I stuck it in a corner and forgot about it.

Thankfully on a routine trip to Michaels, I saw a can of chalkboard spray paint and instantly remembered that bag gathering dust in the corner. So with can in hand I left Michaels on a mission to finally complete a project I had intended to do months earlier.

 It started by taping up the outer wooden frame (you can also just remove it, but I didn't have a staple gun to put it back together) and spraying a coat of chalkboard paint on the particle board inside. It took about 3-4 coats. I left it to dry overnight.

The next day I removed the tape and covered the inside. I already had a few cans of this beautiful blue spray paint, so I used that for the frame. That took a few more coats to get good coverage - but by the end of the day everything was dry and ready to go. To set everything you cover the board in chalk and wipe it off with a damp cloth. The frame had a gap at the top where you slide the calendar in - so I took out some handy printed duct tape, and covered it up and Voila! Diy Chalkboard

(Excuse the writing. Sadly, I was not blessed with nice penmanship)

No comments:

Post a Comment