Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Spicy lentil tostadas


   This used to be a 3-4 meal household. Always a variation of the same things and trust me, it gets boring very quickly. Well, lately I've really gotten in to finding new recipes that I think my family will enjoy - and with me not eating meat, that can sometimes be quite the challenge.

 I came across a lentil tostada recipe on pinterest, and of course, I put my own twist on it.

 What you need:

  • 1 can of lentils, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of corn, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 a white onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • A handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (one for topping)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 lime
  • Salt & pepper
Heat olive oil in a pan on medium high heat and add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are golden and fragrant then add in the cilantro, bell pepper, corn, 1 chopped tomato, lentils and vegetable stock. Turn heat down and let simmer for a few minutes. Add in all your spices, salt and pepper and stir. Cover with a lid and let mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice of one lime.

 Spread the lentil mixture on a tostada and top with avocado, tomato and sour cream (or any other toppings of your choice) and enjoy. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment